VG United fends off Sugar Boys, 4-3 in Virgin Gorda Football battle | Island Sun

VG United fends off Sugar Boys, 4-3 in Virgin Gorda Football battle

Wolves Marcus Robinson, right and his Panthers counterpart fighting for a header 

By Dean “The Sportsman” Greenaway

After racing to a 4-1 lead, VG United fended off cross town rivals Sugar Boys, handing them their first loss of the season 4-3 on Sunday, in the battle for bragging rights on Virgin Gorda

Sheldon Harry Jr., gave VG United a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute, before Sugar Boy’s new signee Oral Perry, equalized in the 44th.  Scoring from the penalty spot, Thomas “Manly” Albert put VG back on top in the 60th minute.  Adrian Adams scored in the 77th and  Sheldon Tony in the 89th  as regulation neared, for the 4-1 advantage. However, two late strikes came from Oswort Holder in the 90th+1 and Derol Redhead in the 90th +7, bringing the Sugar Boys to 4-3, as time ran out.

“It was a very good game and a much-needed victory to boost our confidence for the rest of the season,” VG United Manager Jermain Abrams said. “We are still in the hunt for the title with this win. They scared us a bit as we switched off at the end, but overall I’m happy with the way we played.”

Redhead said it’s a  game VG United will remember for a long time. “They came out and showed they wanted the victory more than us,” he said. “They did not let us play our game. We could not play like we wanted to and their younger talent put them on top.”

Wolues and Panthers draw

The Panthers blew a 2-0 lead, then fought back to tie the Wolues at 4-4 in Greenland, on a late Ezra Alleyne goal in the second minute of added time to end the game. Prevell Asson and Jhon Samuel put Panthers two goals up, before Marcus Robinson pulled one back on the cusp of half time to open the door for the Wolues.

Rush Broderick and Noel Maxwell then put the Wolues ahead 3-2 and Hugo Costa Liziaro made it 4-2, before the Panthers’ late game heroics.

“We had a good first half but found ourselves down a couple of goals from some mistakes,” noted Wolues’ Phil Nelson. “Despite that we kept calm and knew we would create chances. Our four goals came pretty quickly and maybe we got a little complacent to let them back in and conceding so close to the end is hard to take. Fair play to the Panthers. They kept going and the equalizer was a wonder strike. We are happy to stay unbeaten but we will need wins if we want to apply any pressure to the teams above us.”

Panthers Assistant Coach Stany Francis Jr., said the game started cagey with a lot of loose balls and both teams trying to assert their dominance. “However, we prevailed with a goal which in turn allowed us to stomp our authority with possession which led to our second goal,” he said. “With five minutes remaining in the first half, we conceded a goal which I blame to a lack of focus where players left opponents unmarked in the penalty area. The second half again because of a lack of focus we conceded three goals. Now 4-2 down we needed fresh legs, so I made changes which led to one of those substitutes scoring and when all hope seemed lost, a remarkable moment of brilliance from our star new signing Ezra Alleyne earned us a point.”

After successive losses, the Rebels rebounded with an 8-1 romp over Old Madrid.