Long Football season resumes with five games | Island Sun

Long Football season resumes with five games

One Love’s Oral Perry, right, tackles Old Madrid’s Jazeel Castello for the ball

By Dean “The Sportsman” Greenaway

Five games highlighted the resumption of play in the BVI Football Association league over the weekend, after an August break following a COVOD-19 spike. One Love and Old Madrid played to a 1-1 draw on Sunday afternoon in Greenland, when Richard Morgan equalized in the 50th minute after Old Madrid’s Kenmore Peters scored nine minutes into the game. 

“It was a very difficult game because as you can see, most of the guys were playing on 0%,” One Love’s Coach Javon Carty told Island Sun Sports. “The goal itself was very unfortunate because the defender was trying to clear the ball and it hit on their striker and it went in the goal. But, otherwise, the guys did well, came back, we scored a goal and draw the game, so one point is better than none.”

Old Madrid coach Kenrick Grant, told Island Sun Sports that they tried something new in terms of players, positions and their approach to the game.

“We pretty much dominated a lot of the first half,” he noted. “In the second half, we allowed our opponent to come back because some of the players started getting tired and we picked up a few injuries. We were forced to make changes, but overall, the team stuck to the task and we played to the best of our ability, based on the fact that some of the players had to play out of their natural position. We came off with a draw and I’m pretty pleased with the team’s performance.”

Carty said returning to play after a mid-August break was very challenging, as they didn’t have opportunities to have training sessions. 

“Right after the curfew was lifted, we only had a week and we only heard on Wednesday that we have a game on Sunday,” he pointed out. “So it was very challenging. We had to just round up the boys and try to motivate them as much as possible and get them out.” 

Grant said his team too was affected by the break.

“As you could see, a lot of the players were not fit, even one of the young players who we thought should have been able to run through the whole game, he actually got tired and asked us to take him off,” Grant noted. “So training and game practice has been a challenge.”

Play on Tortola resumed on Saturday, with One Caribbean turning back the Rebels, 4-2, after building a 4-0 lead on two scores from Chadwick Evans in the 12th and 53rd minutes of play. Other goals came from Kevin Glasgow and a Rebels’ own goal. 

The Rebels got on the scorecard in the 77th on a goal from Curtly Peters. They cut the deficit in half in the 82nd, when Julian Davidson scored from the penalty spot, but couldn’t muster anything else.

On Virgin Gorda, VG United pulled off the season’s biggest upset so far, by shouting down the favored Sugar Boys, 1-0, for their third victory of the season. Jevonne Demming had the game’s lone score in the defensive tussle. 

Sheldon Harry secured the winning goal in the 89th minute, to give league leaders Islanders a 2-1 victory over Lion Heart, after both teams played to a 0-0 half. Kevin Fisher gave Islanders a 1-0 advantage in the 56thminute. Lion Heart’s Sheldon Brown brought them even in the 65th frame. 

The Wolues built a 1-0 lead they would take into halftime over the Panthers, on Noel Maxwell’s score in the 25th minute. Chester James completed the 2-0 victory, when he connected with their second goal in the 78thstanza.