Despite 1-1 draw with Wolues, Islanders eyeing another title | Island Sun

Despite 1-1 draw with Wolues, Islanders eyeing another title

Islanders Kevin Fischer, right, ot jumps his Wolues counterpart to head the ball

By Dean “The Sportsman” Greenaway

Last week, Old Madrid derailed the Wolues title hopes with a 2-1 victory. On Sunday, the #2 seeded Wolues delayed #1 Islanders celebration of another BVI Football Association League title, when Robert “Robbie” Green equalized the match at 1-1 in the 67th frame, after the Islanders Kevin Fisher scored in the 32nd.  

“It was a really hard fought game and I think we looked like the better team in the first half when we conceded a goal and it was all uphill from there,” Wolues Coach George Weston told Island Sun Sports. “But I’m really pleased the guys came and fought to the end and we ended up getting a draw here, which probably isn’t good enough in terms of (winning) the league, but ,I’m pretty proud of everybody this season, the effort today and everything.”

From their end, Islanders Coach Andy Davis said he was disappointed with the outcome.

“I think that we had more than enough chances to put the game to bed and ultimately wrap up the season,” he told Island Sun Sports.  “Nonetheless, the guys played well. Wolues, we know that they’re a very competitive team. For the majority of the season, they scored the majority of their goals in the second half, coming on in the dying minutes, so I knew they’d put on the pressure. But I think our defense held them well, played well at the end. Again, we had chances late in the second half where we could have sealed this game but that’s how it is. Ultimately, it was a good game.”

Weston said it was a game with some chances for his team but not hundreds of chances. 

“We probable have to focus on making sure we always have people in the box available and making sure we’re attacking everything, but it’s tough to blame anyone really,” he said. “It’s a hard result to take but I think the performance was absolutely fine.”

Davis said he thought his team could have been more precise with their passes in the final third of the game to seal the victory. He noted that they had some chances where the ball was played through, but it was too heavy.  

“I think if we had been a little more aggressive in the final third, we would have gotten more chances and more opportunities at goal.”

In other matches, One Caribbean secured a 3-2 victory over One Love, with all the goals coming during a frantic 35-minute period in the first half. Rickson Augustin opened the scoring for One Caribbean in the 5thminute before Santos Caines made it 1-1 in the 8th. Kelvin Glasgow restored the lead in the 22nd and Richard Morgan made it 2-2 on the half hour mark only for Glasgow to score his second and what turned out to be the winner, in the 40th minute.

The Panthers secured all 3 points from Old Madrid with a brace from Nigel Sanderson, including a 75th minute penalty sealing a 2-1 win after Nano Ottley had levelled the game at 1-1 in the first half.   VG United and Lion Heart battled to a 1-1 draw, after Jevonne Demming opened the scoring just before half time and Shevaugn Thomas equalized for Lion Heart in the 76th minute.