The St. George's Episcopal (Anglican) Church
held its rededication thanksgiving service at the newly renovated sanctuary
on Main Street on Sunday October 5th. The VITV picture shows the Minister's during
the historic service - read more about it: click here
St. George's Re-dedicated
The St. George's Episcopal (Anglican) Church held its rededication
thanksgiving service at the newly renovated sanctuary on Main Street on
Sunday October 5th, 2003.
The ceremony was officiated by The Most Rev. and Hon. Orland Lindsay, OJ,
DD, Archbishop of the West Indies (retired). Among the many members and
guests were Members of the Legislative Council and Ministers of Religion
from other denominations.
From the national anthem and unveiling of the plaque and procession, the
programme flowed smoothly through to the blessings for anniversaries,
birthdays and children and the recessional hymn.
Featured as part of the programme were the Liturgical Dancers, the St.
George's Youth Choir, the Gospel Choir and the Combined Choir. In
addition, several members read passages of scripture and the congregation
was involved in the singing of hymns.
Towards the end of the service, Father Ronald Branche made four
presentations on behalf of the church to Honourable Paul P. Wattley, the
architect; Mr. Heskith Newton contractor; Mr. Ernest Evans and Mr. Lester
Liburd, for their dedicated work in the renovation of the church.
The Anglican Church in the BVI likely came with the British in 1672. The
records of the church were destroyed by hurricane in 1819, immediately
following which they were hosted by the Methodist Church.
The parish hall was built shortly after the hurricane of that year and
played an important part in the history of the British Virgin Islands. At
times, used as a school, a cultural centre, a Sunday School and even as the
venue for Legislative Council meetings.
At present, it is used by various church groups to host meetings and it is
also of the safe shelters designated by the national emergency planners.
Hurricane weather disrupted services at St. George's again in 1916 and a
new roof had to be constructed and the present Chancel of stone and
concrete erected. In 1955, work began on the sacristy, while the side
chapel was not completed until 1965.
The public school at the Parish Hall was phased out during the mid-sixties,
giving birth to the St. George's Parochial School. On February 23rd, 1975,
the new St. George's School swung open its doors to make an impact on
The church meanwhile severed relations with the Diocese of Antigua and
transferred to the Diocese of the Virgin Islands in 1963, under the
episcopacy of Bishop Cedric Mills.
The Rev. Julian Clarke served as pastor of St. George's Parish from
1993-1999 and was the first native of the British Virgin Islands to hold
In 1996, renovations and additions were carried out to make the historic
Parish Hall. This included an undercroft to the buildings, complete with
office space and restrooms.
The architect was Hon. Paul P. Wattley; the builder Mr. George Malone and
electrical work was done by Mr. Lambert deCastro, all parishioners at St.
During the period of this last renovation programme, parishioners
worshipped under a tent at the cruise ship docks for weeks.
The St. George's Episcopal Anglican church thanks everyone who assisted
with this project and invites all to worship with them
© 2003 by SUN ENTERPRISES (B.V.I.) LTD.
PUBLISHERS OF THE ISLAND
SUN Newspaper. All rights reserved.